Friday, September 14, 2007

Blackbird


When you go to the Queen Charlotte's, you realize why the Raven plays such a prominent part in native mythology. According to the Haida’s, the Raven is know as the trickster and is credited with creating life, the moon, stars and sun.

You have to experience the Raven first hand to understand what the fuss is about. Scientist consider Raven to be the most intelligent of birds, often comparing their cognitive development to that of a dog or wolf. Wild Ravens have even been know to mimic the sounds of cell phones and car alarms

Everything about the raven is larger than life - just think of them as Rock Stars on wings. Unlike other animals, the Raven looks you straight in the eye and tells you what it thinks. Most of this interaction is humorous, but there were a few times when I felt like shouting “ you talking to me!?”.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Whenever we see these beautiful birds, Scott will refer to them as "my friend the raven," and (to me) "your friend the eagle" - our self-appointed Haida clans.

Natalie - who I believe herself is part of the Raven clan - has pointed out the raven's attraction to bright, shiny things. So next time you find yourself attracted to a beautiful piece of jewelry, you can chalk it up to your inner raven.

Tyra said...

I'm attracted to anything chocolate...what kind of bird am I?