Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Five Things I Love About Japan


Dog Culture
Next time someone gives me the look – an expression that says “oh yea, you’re the crazy pug lady” – I’m going to suggest they visit Japan. These people really love their dogs. In fact, most canines living in Tokyo are better dressed than I am. Since being here I’ve seen dogs in biker jackets, dogs wearing jeans, and yesterday I even saw a bulldog wearing a tutu. While this might be over the top back home, it seems to work here.

Corporate Culture
In Japan, people are expected to go drinking with their colleagues, as companies feel it’s a good way to build strong human connections. So for any of you who are shaking your head - remembering the company Christmas party that got way out of hand - you’ll appreciate the fact that this experience comes with one very important ground rule. Anything you say to a superior while under the influence can not be held against you…..seriously.

Germ Phobic
People here are very concerned about germs – visit the local supermarket and you’ll find an antibacterial product to clean just about anything. You’ll also see quite a few people wearing face masks – when I asked about them, a local explained that the people wearing them had colds – after all, it is considered very rude to expose the world to your germs. I just have to say……these are Tom’s people! He’d fit right in here, as he also has “germ issues”.

Youth Culture
There’s a very cool thing happening with Tokyo’s young people, which reminds me of North America in the 60’s. I would go so far as to say it’s a movement – expressed with fashion and music – the start of a whole new generation.

Japanese Food
Japanese food is all about presentation and texture. While here I’ve eaten fresh rice crackers and sweet bean cakes from street vendors - enjoyed dinner in a traditional Japanese restaurant - it has all been sublime. I have also noticed that there are no over weight people living here – a result of small portions and taking the time to really taste and enjoy your food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie, I'm reading your blog. Its great and I know your having a great time in Japan. Take care see you tomorrow. Love m