Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Little Bunny


When Tyler was a little boy, one of my favorite rituals was the bedtime story. There’s something sacred about it – the warmth of the covers, flushed cheeks, that unmistakable little boy smell.

The Runaway Bunny was one of our favorite books, but eventually we stopped reading it, due to the fact that it always brought a lump to the throat. The story is about a little bunny who decides to run away from home. If he threatens to leave on a sailboat, his mother says she’ll be the wind in his sails – if he intends to run away to the circus, she becomes the tight rope he walks on – anyway, you get the general idea.

Tyler is now a beautiful young man, living on the other side of the world. He’s doing exactly what he should be doing at his age; exploring, asking himself the big questions, making a life. And even though I may not email or call him everyday, he is always in my heart.

I carry the image of the runaway bunny with me, and like to think that our love will follow him everywhere.

1 comment:

Dil said...

You and Tom did a good job Mika.