Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Truth Will Set Us Free


Tom recently bought a t-shirt that says "F*#k you, you F@#king F^#k - which basically sums up his philosophy on life. 

Even though I refuse to go anywhere with him while he's wearing his new mantra, I'm starting to think he's on to something. Tom goes through life expressing himself - while I tend to internalize.  Even though my approach means I'm likely to have more Facebook buddies - Tom will probably live to be a 100. Having the courage to say what you really think seems to be a cathartic experience. 

Since most of us aren't as brave as Tom, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to create free speech zones. In Japan, it's an unspoken rule that anything you say to your boss while under the influence doesn't count. Considering the fact that going out and drinking after work is a big part of their culture, therapy is as cheap as the price of a beer.

Maybe we should give every man, woman and child one day every year to shoot from the hip. Not only would it make them feel really good, it could also have a positive effect on society. Think about it - crime rates would plummet, high blood pressure would no longer be a health issue, and we'd all feel a hell of a lot better about life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to the Sofa King!

Tyra said...

My 4 year old already does this except without the cursing...he tells me constantly that my butt is fat, asks what my mom is doing over at our house and told her (while we were gone to Jamaica) that she was nice and all but he was ready to see his other grandmother. He holds NOTHING back! Thankfully, he's cute so he gets away with it!

Dil said...

1. stick out both index fingers
2. hook one finger in each corner of mouth
3. pull fingers in opposite directions
4. say " puck"

hee hee

Julie O-C said...

Hey, Mika, I have a similar t-shirt that Braddo bought for me in NYC: it basically is a riff on the F-word, and I sleep in it and it makes me feel all warm and toasty inside.

As you know, I'm on the other side of the communication coin--all truth, all the time. I've learned to temper that a little with age, but we are what we are, so we can't totally reinvent ourselves. But I would agree a little more "letting out" at your end is probably as important and healthy as a little more "keeping in" at mine!

Also, I remember years ago I was sent by my employer on a retreat where the guy at the front had stuck a little sign that said "tell the truth" and over the course of the three days, it just got bigger and bigger until it was screaming "TELL THE TRUTH!" And that was probably the single greatest thing I took away from that workshop--or any workshop for that matter.

Sometimes the truth stings for a minute--like when you rip a Band-Aid off--but when we are honest and direct with ourselves and (when appropriate) with others, it sure saves a lot of time and misplaced energy.

IMHO of course. Nice post. Thanks for raising the point...

J.