Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cat or Dog?


My friend Carol is one of the best communicators I know. One of those people who can get to the crux of the matter in a few simple, eloquent sentences. So much so, that my secret nickname for her is the Oracle. I can't tell you how many times we've been in a meeting, when I've been tempted to say "yea, what she said".

Today she informed me that people are either like cats or dogs, explaining that her daughter just happens to be a cat person. Why didn't this occur to me before? What a wonderful way to look at life. Once you figure out if someone is cat or dog - you pretty much know everything you need to know.

Today I've been thinking of my family and friends, even imagining specific breeds in some cases. Here's what I'm thinking:

Tom - dog person (granted he's not trained - bad dog Tom!)

Tyler - a strange mix of cat and dog. Social like a dog, independent like a cat.

Josie and Chris - even though their nicknames are big cat / middle cat, don't let them fool you. They profess to be cats, but they're actually dogs, put on this earth to serve the needs of the little cat.

3 comments:

Pheobe Kaatz said...

DOes this mean cats are superior to dogs? Since BC and MC are here to serve me?
PK

Anonymous said...

Don't forget, every dog might have his day, but the nights are saved for us pussy cats!

Maggy and Me - said...

Re. the 'Oracle' - I agree. Carol taught me several lessons about communicating - especially to be very clear about what you're saying and about what your expectations are of the listener(s). She's one of the clearest, smartest thinkers I know.

BTW, does that make her a cat? (This coming from a definite dog of the hopefully golden retriever persuasion.