Thursday, August 13, 2009

Rock On


This week marks the 4oth anniversary of Woodstock - an event that has come to symbolize the 60's for many of us. For some reason, this has left me with an urge to pick up the phone and call my son in Thailand - but how does one describe the importance of the decade of peace, love and great music?

My beautiful child has no fear. A true explorer, who's embraced the challenge of moving to Asia and learning a new culture and language. Lucky boy - he's always lived in a world where he has the freedom to do his own thing - where his options are not limited by his gender, faith or sexual orientation.

I want him to understand and appreciate those who paved the way. A brave generation that raged against the machine, questioned authority, and opened the door to a world of possibilities.

Peace.

2 comments:

Maggy and Me - said...

Totally agree - have always looked back on the 60s and Woodstock wistfully having been too young to participate. Until one day in my 20s when I saw footage of Woodstock with all the people, rain, heat and mud and then was a little less envious not to have been at the event itself! That said, a lot has happened in 40 years and I'm grateful to those who've led the way.

Tyra said...

Wasn't Rita there??? LOL

Actually, I come from a long line of hippy rednecks...so I, too, connect with my inner hippie.