Monday, October 15, 2007

The Tao of Travel

My husband once called me a binge traveler, referring to the fact that every spring and fall I am in constant motion. I’d love to have the ability to pace myself - imagining how lovely it would be to go Christmas shopping in Paris – or head south of the equator during the short, dark days of winter. Considering that much of my travel is planned around business, the only option is to embrace this “boom or bust” lifestyle. Here are a few travel tips I’ve picked up over the years:

Less is More.

  • Unless your part of the British Royal family - or long to be a Sherpa - resist the urge to over pack.
  • Stick to wardrobe basics, neutral colors that you can easily mix and match.
  • When packing don’t fold your clothes, roll them. You’ll find they take up less room and don’t wrinkle.
  • Splurge and buy a bag with four wheels – trust me, it’s worth every penny.

Immerse yourself in the local culture.

  • It might seem like I’m stating the obvious, but I’m amazed how many times I’ve encountered miserable travellers – people who are unwilling to move beyond their comfort zone.
  • See the icons, but also make sure you walk around the local neighborhoods.
  • Don’t be afraid to use public transportation – especially in big cities where subways will allow you to avoid traffic and reach your destination sooner.
  • Eat locally – not only will you broaden your horizons – but you’ll find the food is fresher and less likely to cause stomach problems.
  • If you have dietary restrictions, always carry a card explaining exactly what they are, in the local language. I speak from experience, having watched poor Tom trying to act out “Lactose intolerant” on three different continents.
  • Make an effort to speak the local language. Granted, if you’re like me this might cause more than a few smiles – but people appreciate the effort.

Shit happens

  • When things go wrong, do not have a meltdown. Chances are you're going to need people who can help you sort things out - people who are used to dealing with the public - brow beating them is not going to help your cause.
  • Always remain calm and polite – you’ll find that you really do catch more flies with honey.
  • Do your research, otherwise you might unintentionally offend the locals. Once, when entertaining a group of Japanese business men, I decided to propose a toast. I raised my glass and said “Cin Cin” - which is perfectly charming if you’re in Italy - and roughly translated means “to your health”. I couldn’t understand why my well intended toast caused so much discomfort. It was only later that I learned that in Japan, Cin is another word for Penis.

3 comments:

Maggy and Me - said...

Hey world traveller - looking forward to catching up with you soon! Hope your trip was wonderful and your birthday too!! Happy, happy belated d'day Mika - xo Mags and me!!

Tyra said...

I love to travel and wish I could be there with you. I love your pictures!

I have something to add to your list. When my neighbor and I traveled last year to Italy, her luggage got lost and arrived in the US a week after we returned. We really bonded when she had to wear my bra and panties...so always travel with a buddy who wears the same size clothing as you do!

Marot said...

I roll my clothes sometime but it took time to roll all of them since I am a bit of a Royal Family( I to overpack )

Cin Cin to us all!