Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Facebook gone bad.


Recently I entered the world of Facebook, and so far it’s been a living hell.

It started innocently enough. A couple of weekends ago I was exploring social networks – trying to determine their relevance to my business world. In the name of market research, I signed up my unsuspecting husband onto Facebook.

Now, before you get all worked up about the implications of volunteering an unsuspecting partner, you should know that a few years ago Tom signed me up for Classmates.com. He thought it was a hoot until I started getting emails from old boyfriends. As they say; it’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.

In the beginning, Tom was resistant to the idea of being forced to go onto Facebook – actually, he was very resistant - kicking and screaming resistant. God forbid that he should tell the entire cyber-world that he likes 80’s tunes (remember Wham?) and long walks on the beach. My husband doesn’t have a lot of friends – so it didn’t help that one of his very first facebook “friends” was a cat named Phoebe. Tom hates cats.

So imagine my surprise when I realized, somewhere along the way, Tom had become a Facebook junkie. Like most things in life, it’s always the wife who is the last know.

I should have realized something was up when he shared P-kitty’s picks for the Cowboys - 49ers game – or when he asked me if his facebook photo made him look fat. Somehow it just didn’t clue in. I never realized we had a serious problem until my work colleagues started asking me about my leopard print pj’s – information that Tom felt was important enough to share with all of Greater Vancouver.

Not to mention that Tom’s new addiction has had a negative impact on our happy little family. Poor Tyler, it’s hard to flirt with girls or discuss your plans for the weekend when your dad is suddenly one of your most vocal facebook buddies. It even seems that in order for our pugs TexnMaggie to get Tom’s attention, they’re going to have to get their own fb account.

9 comments:

Sheri & William said...

The real question is, are there any leopard print pj pictures on his profile?

Tyra said...

To my surprise, Tom recently sent me a note on Facebook (which I only joined to see a friend's son's Halloween pics). Sadly, Tom is my only "friend" listed on Facebook. I'm a Facebook loser...

Margaret said...

I too have suffered Facebook challenges. Or should I say Riley has. I have gleefully posted notes and looked at all his friends (many girls wearing very little clothing!!!) Sadly he has announced I will be banned completed if I post one more not on his wall and he has discovered however a way to limit my access to his book - perhaps he should send Tyler a note?

Anonymous said...

Be careful or you might turn into me and join the following fb group: "Badmouthing Facebook and then joining it afterwards"

Maggy and Me - said...

After several months of being on Facebook, I'm still convinced it's a great way to keep in touch (at least superficially) with many people - especially when they're far afield. That said, Mika - much further than just Greater Vancouver knows about those pj's! :)

Dil said...

I too joined Facebook on the advice of a friend...it's was kinda wierd at first.For awhile there I was something akin to a stalker. Didn't do anything on my own site, just looked at my friend's ( all 6 of them at the time!)one sided conversations and pictures! I have to say I prefer reading and looking at pictures on my friends blogs! Please don't leave!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here mika-ryan.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Let me show you one truth. Research points that nearly 60% of all U.S. grownups are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

stories of lesbian sex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with? I'm going to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a difficult time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking
for something unique. P.S Apologies for getting off-topic
but I had to ask!

Here is my homepage registry cleaners