Sunday, November 11, 2007

Movie Night


Tonight was a perfect movie night, rainy and windy outside - comfy and warm inside.

In order to determine which movie we were going to watch, Tom and I had a coin toss. I won - which means that we saw critically acclaimed “The Lives of Others” - instead of “Die Hard with a Vengeance” (for the second time).

I was curious about this movie, as I visited Berlin earlier this year and was quite surprised at my reaction to the city. I wanted to ask people how they felt about the Cold War, and what effect it had on their families – but I didn’t have the courage.
I walked and walked through the streets of what used to be East Berlin, trying to imagine how one wall could make such a difference to so many.

The movie was fabulous, two thumbs up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This would be a great example of talking to strangers. Just ask. If they don't want to talk they dodge the question. We asked everyone we met about the elections in Cambodia and Turkey. OK, not everyone. I didn't ask the candidate having lunch next to us in Istanbul. He seemed a bit scary. Funny that I thought he was scarier than the Kurds in the park.