Sunday, December 7, 2008

Places I can Roll


Tom and I had a whirlwind romance, we had only known each other for a few months when we decided to leave our jobs, uproot our lives in Dallas and move to Santa Fe. Chalk it up to youth, that crazy time in life when you’re too young and naive to know better. It started as a fluke, over a beer in a neighbourhood pub Tom asked me a simple question. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Going for dramatic flare, I wrote Santa Fe on my napkin – within a week we had moved there.

In hindsight it was a crazy thing to do, and even though it sounds romantic, it was a constant struggle to make ends meet. None of that mattered, I loved every minute of my life there. Santa Fe is one of those rare places that has always seemed to speak to my soul; lilacs and pinion trees, beautiful old adobe houses, dramatic lightning storms, warm golden light. Unfortunately we eventually had to leave. Abby Hoffman once said that even though Santa Fe is incredible, it’s also a very difficult place to live as there is no middle class.

Fortunately life has brought me to Vancouver, where I really feel I belong. I never take this feeling of being at the right place, at the right time for granted - as there have been times in my life where I have lived in beautiful places that just didn’t feel right. It’s not that I was unhappy, it’s just that there was something missing. It's as if I was on an extended holiday, passing time but never really calling it home.

I don't want to go new age, but why is that some places just feel right? Places that inspire you , elicit a spiritual connection. Here are a few places where I could hang my hat: Portland, Sedona, Hanalei, Nelson and Sydney.

3 comments:

Dil said...

I'm soooo supposed to be by the ocean.......maybe my next life!

Sarah said...

Nelson, New Zealand or BC because I could see you happy in either....

Tyra said...

If I believed in past lives, I think mine would have been in Tuscany...I love it there...just breathing the air made me giddy!