Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pug Love



I knew something was seriously wrong, when I came home from work and Maggie wasn't at the door waiting to greet me.  Tex was there, happy pug face and wagging tail, but where was Maggie?

My heart was pounding as I went to look for baby girl, something had to be seriously wrong for her not to be front and centre, eager to tell me about her day. I found her sleeping in the living room, she seemed a little confused when I gently woke her.  I tried to assure myself that everything was okay, after all, we all have days when we're a little off.

I started to get scared when we had to wake her up the next morning. You see Maggie is a keener, always the first to wake up, run to the door, jump right in. It wasn't until we used the magic word, and asked her if she wanted cheese, that we realized she was having trouble hearing. You see Maggie is something of a cheese connoisseur, and can even tell the difference between Brie, Cheddar and Blue - you say cheese, and Magster goes a little crazy.

According to the vet, Maggie may be loosing her hearing. She does have a mild ear infection, but the Dr feels it isn't severe enough to impact her ability to hear. This week we're taking her in to have her ear flushed out, but who knows if it will help.

This is really hard for both Tom and I, as we tend to live in denial, convincing ourselves the pugs aren't getting older.  It's so much easier to pretend that our precious babies will always be with us.

Don't worry baby girl, we'll be your ears.


3 comments:

Pheobe Kaatz said...

Hey Mags,

I'm a big fan of cheese, too. I hope your Big Dogs give you a very big cheese buffet.

My hearing's not as good as it used to be either. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise for you... I understand there's been a lot of snoring going on in your house.

I'm sending you some schwerpsies.

PK

Tyra said...

When Peaches was 15, she started going deaf and blind! Poor thing! It's hard to watch the creatures we love grow older, isn't it? Life is fragile...handle with care!

Marot said...

my friend has a 15 years old dog and he has alzheimer he forgets if he has already peed or not and will go bark at the door to go out ....and then changed his mind