Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Living for the City

I like living in the city. I am always amazed when friends and colleagues move to places like Calgary so they can afford a big house. No offense Calgary, but I would never leave Vancouver for your endless suburbs. I also believe in high density living, the world needs nature more than it needs another sprawling subdivision.


For years architects and anthropologists have been studying our moving from the front porch to the backyard - and the profound impact this has had on our society. It’s a theory that I find fascinating, and even though Tom and I aren’t spending our evenings hanging out on the veranda, we are very connected to our neighbors. When you live as close to your neighbors as we do - you learn to work things out, and take care of each other.


Vancouver is one of the great cities of the world, a rare combination of urban sophistication and nature. While living here, we’ve had raccoons, coyotes, otters, beavers and even a cougar wander through our hood.


Today’s photos, a glimpse of life in the city.

My morning commute.
Vancouver is often called the city of glass, which makes for many pretty reflections.
The olympic torch.
I love this giant rain drop, appropriate for a city that embraces the rain and all of our wonderful shades of blue and green.
The view from our office, looking down at the Marine building, a wonderful art deco building.

4 comments:

Marot said...

WOW

Laura Byrne Paquet said...

Lovely ode to the city, Mika--and great photos!

Aunt Peggy said...

You are so tallented.

patches mcgee said...

Mika, you're making me 'home' sick! I love and share your insights into city living.