Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Canada


There has been a great deal of discussion over the past few years about the Canada brand. Research shows that for most people, Canada conjures up images of beavers, moose and Mounties. I don’t doubt the research, but this certainly hasn’t been my experience.

I grew up in West Texas, but now consider myself to be a Canadian. Before coming here, my image of Canada had nothing to do with wildlife or men in uniforms – Alaska, yes – Canada, no.

For starters, I thought Canadians rocked – an impression formed by my following Canada’s most famous couple - Pierre and Margaret Trudeau. Watching their exploits gave me the idea that Canadians were daring, flirtatious, and often went on tour with the Stones.

Canada was also where John and Yoko camped out in a Montreal hotel room – all in the name of Peace. It was the country where Nadia Comaneci scored a perfect 10 (also in Montreal) - and who can forget all of those images of American draft dodgers sneaking into Canada during the Vietnam War.

My love affair with Canada didn’t really begin until I moved to Vancouver. It was as if a light bulb clicked on – these crazy Canucks were my kind of people!

There are so many things I love about Canada and Canadians. The fact that most Canadians realize everything on this planet is truly connected. Canadians are young, without chasing youth. Canada is a land of spectacular natural beauty. Canada is tolerant, with enough room for everyone. Canadians are big picture thinkers. Canadians are very funny people (think Jim Carey and Mike Myers). Canadians care about the environment and even suffer from something called “green guilt”.

Go ahead, just call me a Canuck.

1 comment:

Dil said...

There's a parody song by Weird Al Yankovich called Canadian Idiot
( a parody of the song American Idiot). American Idiot is really harsh and points out alot of awful things about US. The Canadian parody is hilarious as it just makes fun of our colored money, that we " never leave the house while packing heat, never bring our guns out to the mall"
Maple syrup and snow is what they export,
They think curling is a real sport!
They think their accent is so cute,
I never know what their talking aboot!
Funny song!
Seen Sicko yet?