Sunday, December 9, 2007

Just Call Me Grace


Before I tell you about my latest stupid person trick - there are two things you should know about me. I am quite shy - and a very big klutz. It’s a scary combination.

It happened last week at work, when I decided to go powder my nose. As I was leaving my office I tripped and performed a face plant – catching my chin on a table edge and knocking myself silly. It’s true what they say, your life really does pass before your eyes - in slow motion – and in my case it looked like a really bad Saturday Night Live skit.

To make a long story short, while I was bleeding all over my office floor, my colleagues insisted on calling an ambulance. Paramedics soon arrived at our building - along with the entire Vancouver fire department.

Every introvert's nightmare. I was so shaken up by the whole experience that I didn’t even have time to check out the firemen, (who my female colleagues assured me were “quite handsome”.)

Sitting in the ambulance, barreling down Burrard Street towards St. Paul’s Hospital wasn’t exactly my idea of a joy ride, and the truth is I can’t even remember if they turned the sirens on. But I will never forget how incredibly kind everyone was to me.

To Cindy, Carla, Dana and Willy - thank you so much for taking control and helping me. You guys rock and I am a better person for knowing you.

To Chris and Steve, thank you for making me laugh – and helping me find the humour in an otherwise embarrassing situation.

And thanks also to Raymond and Ray - for assuring me that life would continue, (even if I had to miss the power lunch with Paul Henderson) – and reminding me that all true Canadian’s proudly wear a five-stitch scar on their chin as a badge of honour.

I guess I’ll have to tell everyone I gave up my body, blocking a hard slap-shot.

4 comments:

Dil said...

Ah yes, Grace under Pressure. A battle scar to wear proudly. Injured in the line of duty....you don't have to say WHAT duty. Powdering the nose is important!!

Tyra said...

Oh, no! Oops! I once did a face plant in jr. high in the gym in front of some cute guys. Quite embarrassing! Sorry you are hurt but glad you had wonderful coworkers to help you...:)

Maggy and Me - said...

omg - wish I'd been there to break the fall as I can picture it all. And glad to hear you spent some time on the weekend taking it easy, though Tom's facebook entry made it sound decadent - moreso, sounds like it was well earned! Hope you're feeling ok now.

Love,
Dawn

Daniel Edward Craig said...

Great story, Mika. Called you to say goodbye but you are on vacation. Let's keep in touch. I'm at dcraig@telus.net or new blog coming soon at www.danieledwardcraig.com. Hope all is great. Thanks for everything - it's been amazing. DC