Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Where the Hell is KL ?


Today my game was off – I should have gone back to bed and started over – maybe it would have helped.

It started with a 2:00 am phone call from my son, of which I have absolutely no memory. Fortunately he followed up with an email, smart boy knows when I’m talking in my sleep.
The gist of his note went something like this – I’m in Kuala Lumpur – need money – oh yeah, love to Dad and the pugs.

For anyone who has ever had a child traveling around the world, you will appreciate how well you get to know the good folks at Western Union…..let’s just say that we’re on a first name basis. So it stunned me when they pointed out I had made a mistake on my form - informing me that Kuala Lumpur wasn’t actually in Malaysia – and insisting I fill in the blank with the correct country.

This took me by surprise, as I’m pretty confident in my geography. I’ll spare you the details – but at the end of our “is too / is not” conversation - I was doubting myself. I finally called Tom on the cell phone, who was able to get a concierge to look it up and confirm that I was right.
Maybe Western Union should require all of their employees to watch Carmen Santiago.

It reminded me of the time that Tom and I lived in New Mexico – a state that most people have no idea even exists. New Mexicans love sharing stories about people who think they are located in South America. One of my favs was the time I tried to mail a package from Florida to Santa Fe, and had to convince the postmaster that it really was part of the good old USA.

1 comment:

Dil said...

So Kuala isn't in Australia......home to the cute Koala???