Sunday, December 2, 2007

Snow Angels


Saturday morning we woke up to a beautiful white world – cause for great excitement in our little home. If you’re in the south or Midwest and reading this, you’re probably wondering why a Canadian would get excited about a little snow. Contrary to popular belief, Canada isn’t the great white north. In fact, the west coast enjoys a temperate climate – never too hot or never too cold. When we do get snow it stays in the mountains and rarely falls in the city.

My fascination with snow goes back to my childhood. Winter in West Texas can be bitterly cold, but it rarely snows. When it does snow, everything comes to a standstill – no school, no work – due to the fact that most sane and rational people are terrified to ever attempt driving in it.

Once my Dad was having trouble getting me and my two brothers out of bed, as a last resort he told us it had snowed. We shot out of bed like rockets, only to find it had all been a ruse. Granted it was in the middle of July – but we really wanted to believe. Guess we weren’t exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer.

And who can forget the wonderful snow cream my Grandmother used to make – think ice cream but made with snow. The rule was you never made it with the first snow, as it cleaned the air of pollutants – so if it was a one snow winter, you were totally out of luck.

Even though the pugs and I are loving the snow, we’re really missing Tyler…..nobody loves playing in the snow like Tyler.

3 comments:

Tyra said...

I'm jealous! I wish it would snow here. Remember when we came to visit and I went to the top of Whistler mountain (full of snow) in my shorts and sandals? Not too bright! Miss you!

Marot said...

I'm jealous too! Since I never see snow fall from the sky...

Dil said...

I like the snow too....when it's in Vancouver! Living in Edmonton, we have snow from now until April. Sounds bad but it's funny how you get used to it. And spring is SUCH a big deal....kind of like how sunshine in November is a big deal in Van. We hit April and see grass we start doing the happy dance!