Friday, December 21, 2007

Yuletide


I have to confess, Tom and I are not Christmas people.

For years we did our best to feign holiday cheer, mostly because we gave birth to Tyler “Christmas is my middle name” Ryan.

Maybe it’s just part of the natural order of life, an innate desire not to become your parents. So, if your mom and dad are two old hippies, Tyler’s only option of course is to embrace Tradition.

Because we love and adore our son, we spent years baking Christmas cookies, hand-painting ornaments, decorating trees, and listening to chipmunks singing “Jingle Bell Rock”. We would drive for miles and miles (and stand in line for hours and hours) in order to buy the last Ninja Turtle action figure in the Texas panhandle.

Tom and I were constantly living The Big Lie - that there really is a Santa Claus - and the only way to show your true love for your family was to obligingly spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on them.

Merry, freaking Christmas!

But like most things in life, you can only fake something for so long before it all becomes too much. So, several years ago, Tom and I decided to finally come out of the closet and admit to the world “Sorry Christmas, but we’re just not that into you.”

The great thing is, it allowed us to really think about who we are, and determine what we think is worth celebrating. In our case it happens to be our family’s health, happiness, and the Winter and Summer Solstice. And oh yes, (to a lesser degree) the Spring and Fall Equinox.

So, from our family to yours, we sincerely wish you a Happy Winter Solstice. The shortest day of the year (at least in this hemisphere).

Tomorrow is the re-birth of longer and sunnier days. Tomorrow is when Mother Earth rises from her wet and windy slumber, stretches her long, pale arms and proclaims “Okay, time to wake up and liven this place up a bit!”

Now, that’s something worth celebrating!

Make no mistake, half-way around the world, in a Bangkok high-rise, the Spirit of Christmas proudly lives on. I like to imagine our little Tyler drinking eggnog by the fire, crooning along with Bing Crosby, and hanging up the mistletoe.

You know? - there’s nothing wrong with that, either.

Merry Christmas baby boy, we love you.

5 comments:

Dil said...

My Wikkan friend Joanne has taught me so much about honoring our "Mother" Earth and all her glories. I too celebrate the New Year and wish you many blessings for the year to come! I do Christmas too and can't help get all giddy with the contagious excitement my kids exude. I teach them to stop, slow down and wonder at nature's glory too!!

Dil said...

oops! That's Wiccan.....I spelled it wrong!

Tyra said...

I too believe Christmas is way too commericalized, and actually, most of the people "celebrating" don't even know what "Christmas" really means. Afterall, Santa and elves and reindeer have nothing to do with Christ's birth. As I listen to my favorite Christian radio station, I hear countless "Christmas wishes" being granted...mostly single parents dying of cancer who can't afford or have the energy to give their children gifts or even pay their rent...or a foster family with 10 kids whom are in need of new furniture and a washer/dryer...or a struggling single mom whose car needs repair. As their wishes are being granted, this makes Christmas come alive in my soul. Helping people in need; isn't that what Christ would want most of all? But more importantly, I remember the incredible sacrafice that Jesus made for us so we could know our Lord.

Blessings to you all!

Tyra

Marot said...

I saw Tom's facebook page ... said he is sanding walls

Anonymous said...

Ilove the winter solstice. The idea that the days are now getting longer fills me with joy even if it's only a few minutes a day.