Monday, February 25, 2008

Why I Blog


A wise man (or woman) once said there are three things that should never be discussed in polite company – Sex, Religion and Politics.





I’ve come to believe the person who came up with that pearl of wisdom obviously had a blog.



It’s easy to be your true self with friends, as most of us choose to hang with people who have a similar belief system. It's a little trickier with family. If you live far from home, the way I do – it’s often easier to simply be the person they need and want you to be.

I started this blog because I want to have a different relationship with my son Tyler. I’m sure that there are going to be things we disagree on (don’t even get me started on his tattoo) - but I’m willing to risk it. I want to go through this world knowing who my son really is. I also believe he should know what his mother's thoughts, dreams and beliefs are.

So, at the risk of sounding like a narcissist – this blog really is All About Me. It’s not meant to be safe, nor controversial. I’m just trying to keep it real – at least from my humble perspective.

At times, my friends and family may not agree with my view of the world, and I’m okay with that. I promise to be as open and respectful to your point of view, as I hope you will be to mine.

4 comments:

Tyra said...

Mika,
It's not the Bush-bashing that gets to me...it's the constant America-bashing. My whole point was that when you write about all of OUR problems (I've never once read anything negative you wrote about Canada), it feels to me that you're saying..."Hey, I live in Canada where we have the best life and no problems..." I'm glad you feel that way, but it's just not true. If you live on this Earth, you can't escape problems. I think we must all agree on this point: We, in our Western-culture, all have a very high quality of life compare to most of the world.

After praying about this last night, I realized that I let my pride (of my country) be more important to me than revealing God's love and Glory. For that, I am very sorry and ask forgiveness from you and your readers. For in the end, it's not going to matter what happens in the election, what man does to change the course of destiny or how immoral, self-absorped and selfish our culture becomes. God is still God and his Sovereignty will reign.

From now on, I will only comment on the positive things you write and will pray about the rest! :)

Blessings!

Dil said...

Tyler's lucky to have such a cool, open minded, honest mom and I'm pretty sure because of his cool mom he's a cool ( a tattoo!), open minded ( living, loving and respecting a culture far from home) and honest kid.
Kudos to you both!
Keep on, blogging on sister! Thank the Universe we can all discus and debate your awesome, thought provoking topics in BOTH Canada and the US without fear of being arrested!!!

Tyra said...

I was thinking about you today when I went to Market Street...a grocery store that kind of reminds me of the markets we went to when I visited VanCouver so long ago. I want you to know that I AM very proud of you for being yourself no matter what anyone else thinks. We share the same kind of spunkiness, but just on opposite ends.

Passion is a wonderful blessing...:)

Daddy L said...

Hey Mika. I've tagged you for a Food Related Meme in my blog.

Look forward to your responses.