Monday, April 21, 2008

A Place Of My Own


When our son Tyler moved out, empty nest syndrome hit our little family in a big way. Like most things in life, we all dealt with it in very different ways. Tex and Maggie moped around the house - I went out and bought a convertible – and while I was at work one day, Tom decided to pack up Tyler’s room - lock, stock and barrel.

Even though I understood that Tom was having trouble with baby boy’s departure, I was furious. As far as I was concerned the only viable option was to build a “Tyler shrine” - a place where I could pay homage to my son - I was hoping to milk it for years to come. Needless to say, Tom’s actions put a kink in my plan.

Since our emotions were a little raw, we decided the best thing to do was just ignore the situation. Months passed and the room just sat there, door closed, empty, a quite reminder of big changes in our little world.

Fast forward - Tyler flourished with his new found independence – Tom and I discovered that life goes on, and the two of us sort of started dating again. The pugs somehow adjusted. Life was bearable again.

One day I decided it was time to do something with Tyler’s room. After weighing all the options, I elected to turn it into a “woman cave”. I envisioned a place where I could hang out, watch chick flicks, read, and keep all of my things (clothes, shoes, books, weird things I’ve brought home from my travels).

I’m not sure what it is, but I really loved hanging out in my little den! Then, I had an epiphany. This was the first time I’ve had my own space since getting married. In fact, Tom is getting a little worried that the pugs and I are spending a little too much time down there. Guess this isn't the best time to tell him about my plans to add a mini fridge and lava lamp.

5 comments:

Tyra said...

I can't even imagine being an empty-nester. In a way isn't it good to know that the labor of your efforts (parenting) are producing good fruit (a well-adjusted adult)! You deserve to bask in this realization! :)

susan said...

I love the idea of a chic cave! Let's write a book - How to Carve your own Chic Cave!

Margaret said...

You give me hope that there will be life after Riley. Can i come hang in your cave - I'll bring nail polish and cheesies!

Dil said...

For awhile now I've had the perfect chick cave.....in my mind! It's a little apartment near the trendy part of town. I'd share the rent and a cleaning person with 3-4 other like minded women. Each of us gets the apartment 1 week +weekend a month. It's clean, white sheets, large book/music library. Stocked with great wine and cheese and pate. No kids or spouses allowed.
Anyone want in?

Maggy and Me - said...

uhm, Maggy and I kind of have that now. Never thought about it that way before! Y'all are welcome to visit our cave anytime. :)