Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Different View

My recent knee injury was an eye opening experience, providing me with a very different view of life. For some reason, as soon as people saw the crutches / cane they went into special needs mode.
There was the young soccer mom who stopped me on the street, moved in very close and spoke in a loud voice "good for you.....you crossed that street all by yourself!" The people at museums and train stations who charged Tom full price and insisted on giving me the disability discount. The custom agents who whisked me to the front of the line and stamped my passport, without the usual round of questions.
I confess, I found the whole thing to be very disconcerting. Tom on the other hand loved it, and has decided that travelling with a cane is the only way to go.

1 comment:

Dil said...

Hmmmm....I feel a limp coming on.....