Sunday, November 9, 2008

Hope


For the past week, Tom and I have been in Europe, a 10 day journey that will take us to London, Paris and Munich.

As much as I love it here, I was sort of dreading this trip. The main reason for my hesitation was the fact that I would be in London during the election. It just felt wrong for several reasons - Tom, Tyler and I are all big fans of Obama–not to mention that poor Tex and Maggie have been forced to watch hours and hours of political coverage over the past few months- well, it just seemed wrong that the Ryan’s would be on three separate continents instead of celebrating together.

In hindsight, being in Europe when Obama won was an incredible blessing. It was very moving to see how big this election was for the world – like America, almost all Europeans were dancing in the streets.

In a strange way, it feels like we have all been liberated from the dark cloud of the Bush years. I am hopeful that this is the beginning of a new international consciousness - a return to rational thought, compassion and a kinder, gentler world.



2 comments:

Dil said...

That would have been so cool....we'll all remember where we were when Obama was elected. I was in my living room....you were in Europe!!!! Lucky dawg.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, I thought you'd disappeared. Glad to hear your back.