Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mika's Wish List


Ever notice how January is the worst possible time of the year to hit the gym? It’s way too full of flabby, sweaty people who’ve made New Year Resolutions to finally get in shape. Trust me, break out your old leotards and Jane Fonda tapes, as it will be a few weeks before people loose their resolve at the gym, and things return to normal.

I speak from experience, as it’s taken me over 40 years to realize that unless you're willing to make a total life change, New Year resolutions don’t work. For the past few years I’ve tried a new approach, instead of making a list of tactics that come with a self imposed expiration date, I try to focus on where my state of mind should be.

Mika’s wishes for the New Year:

Optimum Health
Sure, I’d like to be 20 pounds lighter, but instead of going on a diet / exercise binge, my real focus should be working towards optimum health. This means eating things that are good for my body, while also understanding the occasional splurge is good for the soul.
It means that if I am too busy to work out, I’m not taking good care of myself and need to find a way to better manage my time. It means that by putting on the oxygen mask first, I am better able to take care of my family and friends.

Things of Substance
Considering that I only know how to play the clarinet, maybe it’s time to stop dreaming of being a rock star or winning the lottery. Instead, let me strive for things that will really impact my life – let me cultivate wisdom, love, patience, compassion, kindness and humour.

Relationships
Don’t ever let me forget that the only person I can control is me. When I have conflict with others, I need work on myself, asking what can I do to make the situation better.
Instead of focusing on other peoples faults, I will try to be a better wife, mother, friend, employee, leader, colleague, person who cares about the planet.

Being Present
Don’t let me be so focused on the future, that I forget to show up for life. I want to wake up everyday and love the hell out of my family and friends, without fear or trepidation.

3 comments:

Tyra said...

Good Ones! Have a very blessed 2009!

Anonymous said...

You play the clarinet??

Dil said...

Here here! I'll use those if you don't mind......I'm never one for New Years Resolutions but feel I have to do something!!