Sunday, March 29, 2009

Busted


This evening I was startled by a knock on my door. Imagine my horror at finding a group of neighbors,  there to inform me that my lights were shining during earth hour. A polite way of saying "get with it sister".

 I'm a hippy at heart -  Tom even goes so far as to call me "Mother Nature in the making" -which makes what I am about to tell you all the more embarrassing. You see I knew it was earth hour, but made an executive decision to ignore it, as I really wanted to watch the telly. What can I say, I have a thing for British Mysteries.

How did it come to this? Used to be Saturday meant a night on the town, for the past few years it's been more about comfort food and really bad TV.  Even my family and friends have a hard time understanding how I can spend hours watching slow paced, British dramas. Hell, at the rate I'm going it's just a matter of time before the Queen and I are one.

I tried to rationalize the earth hour dilemma by convincing myself it would be okay to keep the home fires burning, as long as I turned them off at some point. Like maybe 3 am, which works better with Tyler's time zone anyway. Yea, that's the ticket.

You'd think being confronted by the neighbors would have been a "come to Jesus moment". Instead, I found myself hiding in the woman cave, curtains drawn, hoping nobody saw the luminous glare of the TV.

One side note: Having  the lights out did prove one thing, unlike cats, pugs do not have an innate ability to see in the dark. 

2 comments:

Maggy and Me - said...

Love it - the rebel inside the hippy! :)

Funny enough I did a similar thing as I lit the candles, turned off the lights and the computer, didn't use anything requiring power - except the television/dvd player to watch movies. Finished Milk (excellent - especially Sean Penn) and Happy Go Lucky (wonderful performance by Sally Hawkins). And to make up for the use of the tv, I kept everything else off until midnight and enjoyed the ambiance. :)

Dil said...

I went to a girlfriends and with 6 or 7 chick friends we drank champagne by candlelight and gossiped and laughed and ate food we couldn't see!!