Monday, March 10, 2008

Drop in Anytime



Benjamin Franklin once said “Fish and visitors smell in three days”.

My dear friend Dawn recently stayed with us for four days. Tom, the pugs and I took a vote - we all agree, Dawn proved Ben wrong - her visit was a gift to the whole family.

Why is it that some people are so easy to entertain, and others leave you counting the minutes to their departure?

Dawn, Maturos and my Aunt Linda all fall into the same category – we’ve enjoyed their visits so much – that we think we could have them as permanent 'roomies'. Here are a few things they all have in common:

They don’t expect to be waited on – you wake up in the morning and they’ve already started the coffee.

They don’t spend hours in the bathroom.

They’re all very independent and don’t need to be entertained.

They’re all very funny.

They’re good sports, and take it in stride if they wake up with a snoring pug.

They’re great cooks and insist on shopping and cooking with you during their visit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO different from the "Bolivian Guest from Hell who shall remain nameless and never, ever invited back" that I had for the longest week of my life.

Dil said...

Then again, I've had guests who were staying at our home ( out of town relatives of friends who couldn't put them up , they were in town for a funeral) and they were SOOOO quiet and shy that we didn't know when they were here or when they weren't! I kept having to "shh" my family so I could listen reeaaally carefully for sounds of life...I wanted to offer them breakfast but they had snuck out!!

Tyra said...

My mom (Aunt Linda) is a wonderful guest because she will do your laundry, cook your meals, clean your house and then leave you money for any "extras" that she used! She comes over to my house twice a week and helps me with my laundry and cleaning and takes the younger boys to the library...what's funny is she always brings her own lunch plus maybe a dish for our dinner (that she just happened to whip up) so I wouldn't have to cook. Bless her little heart!