Sunday, March 2, 2008

Song of the Snow Goose


This weekend Tom, Tex, Maggie and I hit the road - one of our favorite pass times - exploring the back roads of this beautiful place we call home. During our little adventure, we came across a migrating flock of snow geese, an unusual sight in our part of the woods. While researching them on the Internet, I came across this lovely poem:


Song of the Snow Goose

I am the goose flying high over waters

And all that I know is the voice that calls,

Deep within is the essence of life,

Like a sweet gentle rain that falls,

You see me as I pass high overhead

And you stand feet planted on firm ground,

My trumpets resonate in the cool autumn air,

And mortal men are entranced by the sound,

It lifts your spirit from coils of the earth

And just for a moment you can almost fly,

Stranger beneath me gazing in wonder,

So quickly the moment passes you by.

O son of man we are creatures of earth

In search of our own destiny,

And at some point we both can meet,

As we share in what it means to be free.


Sidney Johnson

2 comments:

Dil said...

This reminded me of a song called the Silver Swan.
The silver swan, who living had no note,
When death approached unlocked her silent throat;
Leaning her breast against the reedy shore,
Thus sung her first and last, and sung no more:
Farewell, all joys;
O death, come close mine eyes;
More geese than swans now live,
more fools than wise.

Was your sighting the first sign of spring? Could the geese be coming back north? I hope sooooo. It was -18C here today...the kids still went snowboarding.

Tyra said...

Beautiful and soulful!