Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Learning How to Live

My friend Dawn recently made a trip to the west coast to say goodbye to a dear friend. A young wife and mother who went to the hospital for a routine procedure and died after catching a super bug.
Dawn means a great deal to our family, so when she asked me to go to the funeral with her, I felt it was important to offer my support.

I really hate being in hospitals and churches – I know its psychological – but they feel so oppressive to me. Needless to say, I was dreading the whole thing, bracing myself for the worse.

Over 500 people showed up to say goodbye to Debra. Even though it’s a tragic story, the event turned into a celebration of her life. There was a large gospel choir who rocked the place, funny and touching stories about a woman who really changed lives. There were two things that everyone agreed on – Debra was luminous – and she really made people feel seen and heard.

The experience left me feeling inspired, small and humble. We all know how we should live, but how many of us really have the courage to live a great life?

I am trying to learn from Debra’s example – and as I’m not sure I can pull off luminous– I’ve decided to really try to be present when speaking to other people. So far it’s been touch and go – cashiers think you’re a little loco when you ask them how they’re “really doing” – and taxi drivers seem a little perplexed when you compliment them on their driving. But I’m working on it and with a little practice I will get better.

Thank you Dawn, for sharing Debra with me.

You can read more about Debra at http://www.debrahupdate.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your friend's loss.

Tyra said...

I told my mother this the other day: I will miss you terribly when you die, but I will rejoice that you finally get to be with Jesus; sit at His feet; listen to His voice; share in His light. This thought will put a smile on my face and gladness in my heart when I get sad that I cannot see you on this Earth and I will also look forward to our reconciliation in heaven...such beautiful thoughts!

I think about these things b/c I've already lost my father and know that I will someday loose my mother as well.

Our time here is short...live it with integrity! Blessings!

Maggy and Me - said...

Thank you Mika for all your support - allowing me to share your home, coming with me to this sad, yet inspiring evening, and most of all for being such a wonderful friend. You already do have a huge impact on the many people you encounter in your life! xo Dawn

Dil said...

So sad. Not that long ago I was "blog surfing" and found myself reading her blog. Just from that short time spent reading her updates and comments ( yes, I am a bit of a blog stalker!)I sensed what a remarkable woman she was. Her spirit lives on in those she's touched...even me! And again a reminder to seize the moment!

Tyra said...

I went to her blog since I had some free time...her story is so sad and her baby girls are so adorable. This family has been on my heart this week...my prayer is for those beautiful baby girls who will grow up without their mother and her husband who is probably so overwhelmed right now. I just pray for the Lord's love, mercy and comfort through this difficult time. I wish I knew these baby girls but I know the Lord will send someone into their lives to help heal and replace the mother they once had...such a touching story...sorry I just now read the blog...I will continue to pray for them!