Monday, May 19, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss


My brother David has moments of great wisdom. Like the time I told him one of our parents was pushing my buttons, he pointed out “who better, after all they installed them.”

Lately, Tom has figured out a new way to manipulate me. By constantly pointing out the size of my carbon footprint, he can guilt me into just about anything. Once he realized what a powerful tool this was, he took it one step further and started some deep research.

Trust me folks, in the past few months I’ve learned more about my impact on planet earth than I ever thought possible.

Apparently it doesn’t matter that I recycle, buy local organic products and walk to work – all one has to do is look in my closet to realize I’m doing serious damage to our planet Earth. According to Tom (and the NY Times), the average person only needs 4 pairs of shoes - owning any more is like giving mother nature the bird.

Like they say, once you know better, you do better. Since I have enough shoes for every man, woman and child living in Uganda, I’m may have to seriously reconsider the importance of buying yet another pair of Jimmy Choo's.

Damn you Tom, hasn’t anyone ever told you "Ignorance is bliss?

4 comments:

Dil said...

Ah, but you see, the expensive shoes, like Jimmy Choo's, last a very long time....in fact they may even last long enough that they figure out a way to recycle them into something really useful like.....fuel? So, in the end it's a good thing that you have so many...?

Maggy and Me - said...

Ha! Now I'm feeling fashionable (sort of) as I've always found that I need no more than five pairs of shoes at a time and wear the heck out of them, before moving on. (That said, I've never been complimented on my footwear...).

Tyra said...

Hello! My computer has been on the blitz for going on 3 weeks now! EEK! I feel like I have missed everything...I just got caught up on your blogs. Guess I'll have to get back to mine....so many things have happened! :)

susan said...

Thank you!! Now I have a good excuse as to why I only have four pairs of shoes. Um... and four pairs of flip-flops, but they don't count, do they?