Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Pilgrimage of Sorts



I’ve had the great fortune of travelling to many parts of our beautiful, blue planet– and even though I think everyone should have an opportunity to see the great cities of the world – the places that have resonated with me have been off the grid.

Tomorrow I leave for the Queen Charlottes, a place I have dreamed of for many years. Even though I’ve been there before, I’ve never made it to the islands remote, sacred places. This time will be different, as I will spend the next four days on a sailboat. Navigating through deep cold waters, listening to the stories of raven, finally making my way to Gwaii Haanas.

My travelling companion is my friend and colleague Carla - I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I’m bringing the flip - she will be my muse. She is bringing the wine and I’ve been given the task of ensuring we have drugs for motion sickness, now’s as good a time as any to find out of we have a propensity for sea sickness.

Other isolated places I dream of visiting; Galapagos, Easter Island, Patagonia, Antarctica, Bhutan ( a country that decided to do away with gross national product, focusing instead on gross national happiness), Tibet, the Hengduan Mountains of China (birthplace of the flower), Finland.

4 comments:

Dil said...

You are soooo lucky. I expect some flip episodes and blogs about your travels.I can't wait.

Margaret said...

A magical place for a magical person ... Enjoy ... I too can't wait to hear and read your thoughts

Tyra said...

Blessings, Dear One, for a safe and magical journey.

Maggy and Me - said...

Wish I could be there too - it sounds wonderful. Will be interesting to hear if you see Tom's fluorescent dolphins! Enjoy.