Monday, August 11, 2008

Calling all Pugs

I have a confession, even though we're having a really great time in China, I'm in dire need of a pug hug. I know that Tex and Maggie are in the very best hands - Dave (aka Pug Whisperer) is staying at our house and taking excellent care of them - it's just that I really, really miss them.

The cool thing is China is where pugs originated from. Here's what the experts say about their history:

Pugs belong to a select group of 8 breeds tracing back to Ancient China. They date as far back as the Han and Tang Dynasty, around 150 BC and were refined for centuries for the sole purpose of entertaining the inhabitants of the Imperial City. Long before the Communist Party condemned pet dogs in China as a bourgeois luxury, pugs had safely made their way to the Royal Courts of Europe - still playing the role of the court jester. They were not only comic in appearance, they had the perfect temperament - faithful, eager, clever, affectionate, good-natured, hedonistic and irrepressibly high spirited. They loved and entertained such notables as the Marquise de Pompadour, Marie-Antoinette, King George III and Queen Charlotte, Empress Josephine, Queen Victoria, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and Prince Rainer and Princess Grace of Monaco.

Here are a few of the local dogs we've meet during our time here:








Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Maggy and Me - said...

Hey Mika. I was just telling my friend Yasmin that of all people to be in attendance at Olympic Games (Beijing and Turin before that) you're the least driven to be there (e.g. not all that into the competitive sports/athlete celebrity thing).

Her husband Perry is doing a bunch of graphic design work for the Ottawa Senators - same thing, couldn't name a single player. Kind of feels like poetic justice to me. That said though - how are the Olympic Games going? :)

Tyra said...

GO USA! (Okay, I know I'm annoying...I'll stop now.)