Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Day in the Life....


Today I decided to turn over a new leaf and make the most of what remains of my convalescence. Before getting out of bed this morning I gave myself a pep talk – after all it’s only Tuesday, with a little perseverance I can still make this work – and hey, they don’t call us the fighting Ryan’s for nothing.

The day got off to a good start; brushed my teeth, hugged the pugs, read the news, did my knee exercises, nine am and I had already crossed everything off my list. Looking for options that didn’t require walking, I decided that instead of turning on the TV or googling all of my old boyfriends, I’d take the high road and read a book.

I needed something to cheer me up, so I decided to skip War and Peace, opting instead for Marley and Me. A story about a naughty but lovable dog, who teaches his family a thing or two about life.

Fast forward five hours, poor Tom is dealing with a wife who not only is grounded, begging for a diet coke, but is now also weeping uncontrollably. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a wonderful book - it’s just that in my haste to make better use of my time, I forgot one of the universal rules of animal movies/books – there is never a happy ending.

Tomorrow, maybe I should just dedicate the day to the pugs. Pug spa treatments, pug treats, pug jazz appreciation, pug arts and crafts......

2 comments:

Dil said...

I started reading it today......I'm crying in anticipation.

Maggy and Me - said...

I will not read it as the photo on the cover got me going. I remember seeing it in bookstores a while ago and as is my way I avoid all animal stories as they do always have sad endings. Except Finding Nemo which though it was harrowing for a while, ended up ok... :)