Monday, February 2, 2009

Cry Baby Cry


I’m starting to think there is something seriously wrong with me. Is it possible that I’m a hardass? – and even worse, that I’m the last person to know? – sort of like those people who go on American Idol and actually think they can sing?

I really didn’t clue into the fact that there might be a problem until British Columbia won the right to host the 2010 Winter Olympics. One of the great things about the Olympics are the video vignettes, short stories that capture the beauty of the host nation, it’s people, and most of all the athletes who overcome incredible odds to finally realize their life long dreams.

While I find these videos inspiring, I’m not moved to tears the way many of my colleagues are. It doesn’t matter how many times they’ve seen the same video, there are always tears. In fact, there have been a few instances when people who have not even seen the video cried like a baby - just from hearing someone describe it! (C and J, you know who I’m talking about).

At first I thought all of this 2010 crying was just a girl thing, and I tried to comfort myself by rationalizing that maybe I’ve been living with men for so long that they’ve started to rub off on me (sorry Maggie, but you’re not exactly a delicate flower). Unfortunately, that rationale only worked for a short period of time, as I have now seen many men from our office also get choked up when watching a certain segment featuring the torch relay.

I’ve done some serious soul searching and have come to the conclusion that I’m just not a crier. To make it even worse, the few times I do cry are almost always dog related - in other words, show me a little pug struggling to carry the Olympic flame up a steep hill, against the wind, and I’m a goner.

Truth is, I’m okay with the fact that I am not a crier.

You see, I make up for it by laughing. I laugh at jokes (including my own), I laugh while sharing war stories, I laugh when someone falls down and hurts themselves, I laugh at weddings, I laugh during funerals – and when all else fails, I keep laughing.

5 comments:

Janice said...

Apparently I'm not alone... this from today's NYTimes:

http://tinyurl.com/blxc8g

And now you know why I don't watch most movies... I'd be a mess.

BTW: Elyse, Gloria, the new girl from Saskatchewan and especially the excitable speaker guy today all admitted to getting teary at that video...Only Jim-from-the-Yukon was dry-eyed and I'm pretty sure he's seen some things in his time. So I'm afraid to say you are pretty much on your own with the no crying thing.

Tyra said...

Interesting link b/c they mention the movies "The Champ" and "Steele Magnolias". Okay, Mika, just to refresh your memory you cried like a baby in the Champ...I did too! I think Mom, you, Natasha and me all went to see "The Champ" together...remember cute little Ricky Schroder begging his dead father to wake up! After "Terms of Endearment" you came to our house sobbing and telling us we had to go see it. Plus, anyone who knows you, knows you have the most tender, gentle heart!

For me, I find myself crying at the wierdest times and when I should be crying (like at my father's funeral), I can't. It's not that I'm not sad, it's just not the right time...then I'll watch a Hallmark Commercial and sob like an idiot. Hormones are indeed quite a phenomenon!

So even though you aren't crying over something everyone else is, your time will come when you least expect it...and what a cathartic release it will be!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a crier. Couple of exceptions.

'Muriel's wedding'. I cried b/c I felt so bad for her poor mom.

'In the name of the father'. B/c I felt so bad about his dad.

I obviously have parent/child related issues...

Inspirational 2010 or destination videos... not so much. Goose bumps at times but that's it.

Maggy and Me - said...

As you know cause we've talked about this before, I suffer the same thing. I often don't cry when others around me are upset as my system seems to kick into a red alert 'what can I do to help/solve the problem/avert the hurt' mode?

So at funerals and life's other big event events, I am not to be found grabbing for the tissues.

However, though, show me an inspiring 2010 or other overcoming challenges/ beating the odds kind of story and I'm gone. Any sappy chick flicks will do as well. Also, seeing someone being applauded and/or awarded for any kind of bravery, innovation, acts of kindness, etc.

And most of all, very much like you, anything that involves animals - those inspiring they can always get along with one another/help/save one another or us stories. Then the floodgates open wide.

Dil said...

I think I'm bipolar....laugh when I'm not supposed to....like we're talking scarey laugh, can't stop, snot and drool laughter, then....torch relay?.....sob, medal ceremony?.....sob, ER episodes....sob. I worked in ER!! I didn't shed a tear but show me an episode and I'm " shushing my kids so my cry doesn't get wrecked!!