Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money


Like many people across North America, our little family is trying to be more mindful of the money we spend. Our goal is to buy only that which is essential, and with any luck pay off all of our debts this year.

Like many couples, Tom and I have very different approaches in how we manage money. In other words, I buy things and Tom lectures me about the evils of spending money. This is painful to admit, but the truth is I’m the consumer in the family………or so I thought.

As part of our New World Order (shout out to CF), Tom is taking on more responsibility shopping for our day-to-day needs. It was actually his idea, the rational being he’s such a paragon of strength that he wouldn’t be tempted to spend frivolously.

Since taking over, he’s learned one of the most important rules of shopping – it is impossible to go into Costco without dropping serious dough. Last two times he’s been there he’s spent a couple of hundred bucks – coming home dazed and confused – uttering “I don’t get it, where did all the money go?”

If this keeps up I’m going to have to lay down the law, and put him on a budget.

2 comments:

Tyra said...

My husband is the money nazi and he has his Masters in Finance so I have no leg to stand on! He has been trying to reign in my spending for almost 2 decades now. Sigh...what makes matters worse is that he's used to doing without since he was the youngest of 5. I'm an only child...need I say more! Thankfully, we balance each other out...or so I'd like to believe. Debt is his nasty word and budget is mine...you get the drift!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Tom needs his own NWO (you're not buying shoes are you Mr Ryan?)
CF