Monday, May 28, 2007

Boot Camp


I owe my friend Carla….big time.

I go to Hawaii in a few weeks - let’s just say I’m not exactly ready for the beach. Picture the “before” photo and you get the general idea.

So when someone e-mailed me info on an intensive, four week boot camp, it seemed like a good idea. With my usual “no holds barred” approach to life I signed up within minutes.

I should have left it there, instead I went on a recruiting mission. Most people feigned interest, but were not really enthused about getting up at 5:30 am for an ass kicking. Carla made the fatal mistake of showing a glimmer of interest. It took quite a bit of persuading, but I finally convinced her to sign up with me. The irony being she doesn’t even need boot camp, she looks fabulous and is probably a measly size 3. I think she just joined up to give me moral support.

Over the weekend I managed to convince myself that maybe boot camp wasn’t such a good idea. Trust me people, with a little work you can talk yourself out of anything.

I opted to stay in my comfy bed this morning – but by dawn’s first light poor Carla was in boot camp Hell.

Sorry girl friend! Even though you may not be feeling the love, I’m with you all the way – if not in body, at least in spirit! And just to make you feel better I'll send you a photo of me on a Hawaiian beach

1 comment:

Carla Mont said...

Dear Defenders of Carla,

I understand that a number of you have expressed your dismay at the idea of me - abandoned on Day 1 of Boot Camp Hell. Let me take this opportunity to clarify things.

First, as luck would have it, Mika and I were scheduled to attend two different camps (Mika in False Creek and I in Yaletown). So there was no moment of panicked outrage when Mika was a no-show Monday morning (did I buy these new weights and lulu lemon pants for nothing??). Please, it was an opportunity to shop, and I'm always up for that.

The simple truth is, I really need to thank Mika. She was the catalyst that got my inactive butt off the couch...and for that I am grateful. I'm just sorry that we won't be able to swap stories and compare battle scars at the beginning of each day.

I've learned three things since my first day at boot camp. First, I have no inner core strength. Zilch. Two, my lungs apparently function like that of a smoker. And lastly...I think this is one experience I'm gonna love.

Carla