Thursday, May 17, 2007

Chaos

Over the past few weeks we’ve been living at a construction sight. A group of handsome men have been hard at work replacing the floors in our house. (Well...they aren’t that handsome, but typing that made me feel much better.)

I have to admit, we were not ready for this chaos. When I was in Boston our contractor called Tom with the good news, they wanted to start early. At first Tom thought it was a joke, maybe our son put one of his friends up to it - seriously, when have you ever heard of contractors who start ahead of schedule?

This meant he had less then 24 hours to get ready for them, so in desperation he crammed everything into one room. I could probably live with this, if it wasn’t for the fact that all of my clothes seem to be on the bottom of the pile. Let’s just say that getting dressed for work has been fun.

Things have to get better, because two nights ago we hit rock bottom. At midnight we were still hard at work, trying to move an old box spring mattress to a construction bin in the yard. Sounds easy, but it was too big for the staircase and wouldn't fit through any of the windows.

I admit, neither Tom or I will ever be confused for a handy man – but this seemed like something even we could handle. Besides, how did the original movers get it in to begin with? .

In an act of desperation we had to take it apart - two hours later we managed to get what was left of it, up the stairs and out the door. Right as we started to hi-five each other, Tom accidentally bumped into our neighbors doorbell. For a split second we thought about hiding in the bushes – but considering there was a mutilated mattress on the porch…well, it just didn’t seem like the best option.

The next day Tom couldn't move his neck and I needed a tetanus shot - but the floors are beautiful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's because I married an architect, but I seem to constantly be living in a state of construction or renovation. I've learned a few tricks I thought I'd pass along - Keep repeating to yourself "It is what it is" or "there is an end, and it's beautiful". If those fail, drink.

Dil said...

Three weeks before Christmas ( my sister and her family were coming for Christmas...I was hosting)I decided to " spruce" up my kitchen by painting ONE wall. During the procedure I placed the paint can on a flier advertising a hardwood flooring sale....that started the ball rolling and three weeks later we had new hardwood on entire main floor, new kitchen cabinets,and all bedrooms repainted...can you say MANIC?!!Plus I did all the Christmas shopping and decorating etc....then I drank!