Friday, April 27, 2007

Forbidden Fruit


A recent trip to a US supermarket convinced me that North America has entered a whole new era in the Diet Wars. I’m all for healthy eating, but there are limits - here are a few things that you won’t find in my shopping cart:

Spam Light. I come from an area in the southern states that has been referred to as the “Spam belt”. I’m going to be honest with you; anyone who will eat Spam isn’t exactly worried about trans fats.

Not in the mood for Spam Light? Try a Low Fat Twinkie, and while you’re at it do you mind picking up some Low Fat Cheez Whiz for me?

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but even though we are living in the “Golden Era of the Low Fat Diet” - North Americans continue to grow bigger than ever.

I am a Vegetarian. My rule of thumb is, if I can’t bear to do what it takes to bring my meat or fish to the table, then I won’t eat it. That’s not to say that I don’t have my vices - anyone who knows me will tell you that I drink a tad too much Coke.

I have learned an important lesson about forbidden fruit. When my son was much younger, I wanted to ensure that my darling boy had only the very best. I banned processed foods from our home, and only prepared and served organic, natural things.

Hell, the Ryan's were the poster family for Whole Foods.

However, the first time my son stayed the weekend with my parents in West Texas, he apparently ate 10 bowls of Fruity Pebbles – all in one setting - and to this day he is obsessed with sugared cereals. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that he is surviving in Bangkok on a diet of Captain Crunch and Lucky Charms.

Now that I think about it, my mother never let me drink Coke.

I think the Parisians have got it right – “Everything in moderation.” But, I also believe a little sinful pleasure is good for the soul. What are your guilty pleasures?

1 comment:

The Travel Girl... said...

My friend Darren grew up on a farm and wasn't allowed any junk food. He was invited to go on a camping trip with a friend and when they got to the campsite, the kids were given a bowl of potato chips to eat while the parents set up camp. Darren went wild and ate the entire bowl like a madman. He made himself so sick that he had to be taken home, missing the entire camping trip before it even started. Lesson learned.