Sunday, April 1, 2007

What Goes on the Road.......


Just back from DC, which in my opinion is one of the best cities in the world to people watch.
This trip was particularly interesting as there were all manner of interesting folks staying at my hotel, including politicians and media who were there to attend the Washington Correspondence dinner - and the Philadelphia 76'ers basketball team!

Last time I shared a hotel with an NBA team was several years ago, on a business trip to Seattle with a close friend and colleague.

But before I go any further I should explain that I am about to break the first cardinal rule of road trips - "What goes on the road stays on the road." People have been living by this rule long before it became associated with Las Vegas - evidence of this theory has been found in cave paintings dating all the way back to prehistoric times.

While I respect the rules of the road, I'm fairly confident that most of my adventures (who am I kidding, all of my adventures) are not juicy enough for this rule to apply.

Anyway, there I was in Seattle, with my good friend Janice. It was one of those trips where everything is a challenge, including a fire in the hotel we were staying at.

In order to truly appreciate this story you would have to meet Janice, one of the most poised, articulate, fashionable people I know - a real modern day Audrey Hepburn.

At some point during the trip, Janice lost her cell phone charger - so she called me very early in the morning to see if she could come down to my room and borrow mine.

Due to the fire alarm, it had been a long night, and as I said it was very, very early in the morning. Janice decided to just throw a robe over her PJ's and go down to my room, after all it was highly unlikely that anyone else would be up at this ungodly hour.

She gets in the elevator, notices her bed head in the mirror - but no worries - everything is still going according to plan. That is until the elevator starts filling up with NBA basketball players - the Grizzlies were leaving town and on their way to catch an early morning flight.

Janice's first thought was elation - after all she is close to six feet tall - and this was the first time she had ever been surrounded by men who were actually taller than she is! Then she notices the bright smiles and sidewards glances, and a horrible realization hits her - these guys think she is actually doing the "walk of shame". Janice starts to explain, but realizes it will only make it worse - there really isn't anything one can say in this sort of situation, is there?
As far as I know Janice hasn't become a big basketball fan, but she is able to laugh about this little experience.

No comments: