Sunday, April 29, 2007

Looking Back


I had a very wise Spanish teacher once tell me that there are three times in your life when you should read Don Quixote – the first time when you are young so you can laugh, in the middle of your life so you can cry, and finally when you are older so you can understand what it all means.

I think of this often and believe that it applies to so many situations in life.

George Bernard Shaw said that “youth is wasted on the young”….sorry George, but yes and no.

On one hand I’d like to go back in time and tell my younger self not to take things so seriously – tell her to live in the moment and not be in such a hurry to grow up.

On the other hand, thank god for the ignorance of youth. Looking back I have to admit I did some pretty crazy things, things that I would never have the courage to do at this point in my life.

I don’t regret anything and I believe that all of it - good and bad, has lead me to the place where I am now. For which I am very grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're still the original Wild Child!

susan said...

Well said. I will drink to that!