Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Angels Unaware

While walking in our neighborhood park this weekend, the pugs and I met a very interesting young man. He was working at his laptop on what appeared to be architectural renderings. He was clean, intelligent, articulate and homeless.

Our conversation started due to his interest in the pugs, who seemed equally interested in him. Anyone who has ever watched movies will know that the family dog is always the first to recognize the bad guy. This may seem like a Hollywood cliché - but I have found it isn’t too far off the mark – dogs are very good judges of character.

It was a disconcerting experience, as it challenges the many assumptions I’ve made about homeless people . Maybe I’m an idealist, but I have always believed that the majority of the homeless were either struggling with addiction or mental illness. This young man didn’t seem to fit into either category.

There were so many things I wanted to ask him. How did he get there? Was it a lifestyle choice or had society failed him in someway? Where was his family? Was he happy? Was there anything I could do to make a difference in his life? But in the end I didn’t have the courage to do anything but make polite conversation.

It reminded me of the Greek myths that I used to read to my son. They were full of parables in which gods and goddesses are disguised as beggars - looking for people who will treat them with dignity and respect - in spite of their appearance.

As my Grannie used to say, “There but for the grace of God go I."

1 comment:

Maggy and Me - said...

I love this entry. Poignant and well written and so very Mika. I believe dogs are excellent character judges, and that there are angels among us. Miss you.