Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Inspired by Chimps


I had an epiphany this evening, which was inspired by a documentary on Chimpanzees. Yes, I admit - I’m a geek who likes nature shows.

It seems that Tom and I raised Tyler like a baby Chimp. Seriously.
Baby chimps are carried around by their mother for the first four years of their life – exactly what we did with our baby boy.

At that time we lived far away from both of our families, which gave us permission to break the rules. Without grandparents to offer advice, you have to wing it – trust your intuition and do what feels natural.

Maybe it was a primal urge, but we took him everywhere - let him sleep in our bed - and always had him slung on our hips. Dr. Spock would have been rolling in his grave.

1 comment:

Daddy L said...

But he turned out to be a great kid, didn't he? I'll have to carry Harris around more!