Sunday, June 10, 2007

Must Have Sleep

This weekend Tom is on the road, which means that Tex, Maggie and I have been living like three bachelors.

Tom thrives on structure and routine, and I’m just the opposite. So when he’s travelling, I revert to all of my old habits. I stay up till the wee hours of the morning, eat cold pizza for breakfast, crank the music and get my groove on.

There’s only one problem, the pugs know who the Boss is - and it certainly isn’t me. When Tom leaves I’m sort of like the substitute teacher - the easy mark - the one who has “sucker” written across her forehead.

For the most part I’m willing to indulge, but even I have limits. This weekend Maggie has been determined that we should all get out of bed at 5:30 am - something she would never try when Daddy is home. You’d be surprised how determined a 15 pound pug can be. She’s relentless. Eventually it’s easier to just get up and feed her (I admit it, I’m pug whipped). The real dig is the fact that once she’s had her breakfast, our little Princess is ready to go back to bed.

So today I decided to try a new approach, and turn the tables on Maggie. The idea was to keep her awake all day long, with the hope that I could actually sleep in the next morning. In theory this seemed like a good idea, however I soon found out that the girl can sleep through anything. Even standing up.
I'm counting the hours (and the sleeps) until Tom comes home.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to not be the only one that lets a dog be in control!