Monday, June 11, 2007

Sound Advice


There was a great article in Sunday's New York Times – providing highlights from commencement speeches at various American universities.

The themes varied, everything from pro-war, anti-war, the importance of fighting malaria, living with the paradoxes of the modern world, having a dream, and staying true to yourself.

The most bizarre was from Tom Brokaw, who told his audience that real life isn’t like high school or college. According to Tom it’s more like junior high, complete with petty jealousies, irrational juvenile behavior and the same uncertainty you experienced during those early years. Well Tom, I guess that’s one way to ensure they don’t ask you back next year.

In my opinion, the best was from novelist John Grisham, whom upon graduating was determined to make big bucks as a tax lawyer. Turns out he didn’t like tax law and ended up doing something totally unexpected. In other words, it is impossible to plan your life.

Reading the stories reminded me of advice my mother gave me in high school – the idea was that women should never learn to type. Who knew that the computer revolution was just around the corner? Thanks Mom, to this day I type like an old club reporter…..pecking away with two fingers.

My mom wasn’t like the other Mothers – who were either stay at home moms - or had jobs instead of careers. My mom was pretty and smart, in hindsight I can see how stifling West Texas must have been for her. Against the odds she managed to do quite well in the oil business, which back then was still an “old boys” club. She knew first hand how hard it was to make it in a man’s world - and reasoned that if I didn’t know how to type, being a secretary wouldn’t be an option.

My mother and I are very different - like most daughters there have been times when I’ve been her biggest critic -but I have always been very proud of her intelligence and success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So is it a compliment when someone says to us "You're just like your mother"?