Tuesday, July 10, 2007

As the Pug Turns


This morning seemed like every other morning – first the alarm clock - followed by breakfast and a quick walk with Tex and Maggie.

Just before I headed down the stairs for a shower, Maggie stumbled out of the kitchen and collapsed. Something was seriously wrong. I was terrified - was she having a heart attack - a stroke?

It soon became very apparent that she was choking on her breakfast. First I tried the Heimlich, which is almost impossible to perform on an unconscious pug. When all else failed I stuck my fingers down her throat and dug out a big chunk of dog food.

Maggie quickly came to and ran into the kitchen to see if there was any more food left - I was a basket case. I immediately rushed her to the vet, who sent us home with instructions to keep a close eye on her for the next 24 hours.

I like to pride myself on being fully present for my life, and know how precious it all is. So why was I was so unprepared for this?

All I can say is, once Maggie is feeling better I plan to go out and buy her a pony – thank god baby girl is okay.

3 comments:

Maggy and Me - said...

omg - so glad to hear Maggie's ok! And you too, now that the excitement is over. Maggy sends her love.

D
xo

Dil said...

I just finished giving JJ our guinea pig a big hug....after cutting her lettuce into smaller pieces.

The Travel Girl... said...

This must have been a horrific experience and I'm so glad Maggie is OK, but I'm sorry to admit that it made me laugh out loud to read your account of giving a pug the heimlich and then Maggie immediately returning to her food bowl in search of another bite completely unphased by the fact she just about died! Only a pug!