Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Blues

I woke up with a mild case of the blues. In fact, I’ve had trouble finding my groove all week. The frustrating thing is, I couldn’t quite put my finger on what was wrong. This morning I finally figured it out – I’m in dire need of a Tom fix. Between our busy schedules, it’s been a good three months since we’ve really had time to hang out and chill.

At some point in our marriage Tom became my touchstone - the north star that I set my compass by. I know how strange this must sound to anyone reading this. Most people work under the assumption that this is a given - part of every marriage. The truth is far more complicated. Marriage is a funny thing, in my experience it is nothing like the clichés that we grow up with.

All of my life I have been a very independent person. I’m really good at caring for people who depend on me (pets, children) - but not so good at being dependent on anyone - even Tom.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always loved him. It’s just in the past few years that I’ve come to admit how fundamental he is to my life. I’m not really sure how it happened, but it’s a nice evolution.

1 comment:

Tyra said...

Mika, I'm just the opposite...I don't like being needed...it totally drains me! I have a husband, 3 boys, a dog and a cat...umm...for someone who doesn't want to be needed, I sure got more than I bargained for...:)

Tyra tnewcomer@tx.rr.com