Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Bling




When I was in Maui, I had dinner with a lovely gay couple who taught me all about Hawaiian bling. They were wearing the most amazing leis - made of teeny, tiny shells that were woven into beautiful, intricate designs.

In their island paradise, a lei is equal parts fashion and status symbol – it tells people you’re a contender. It is also a big investment and can set you back any where from $5000 - $50,000. Both boys looked fabulous!
Bling is a tricky thing. In my experience there is a very thin line between the ornate and the tacky. So before you go out and buy a diamond tiara, here are three simple rules to consider:

  • Consider your environment. Trust me on this one – that which is cool in Hawaii, might be an invitation for an ass whipping in Pittsburgh
  • Men should be careful when buying bling. I wouldn’t recommend gold chains or a diamond tooth to anyone who isn’t a rapper. Other wise you might come across as a “wanna be”.
  • Represent - wear the bling, don’t let the bling wear you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun with the guys..but bring them down to old school Hawaii and the Lei wouldn't get them any where. Love you sis!! A place for everything.

Tyra said...

I got my dog, Liza, a red collar with fake jewels on it...it's very obnoxious, but hey, she had to have some bling! :)

Dil said...

I have trouble wearing anything other than my wedding rings.....if I wear earrings or necklaces I spend the whole evening playing with them...a sure sign of a "Bling Virgin"! I think another rule would be...don't play with it- it should be like a part of your body. If you don't play with your thing don't play with your bling!!

Anonymous said...

Oh great, now you tell me *quietly removes the tiara and stuffs it into the desk drawer*