Friday, July 6, 2007

Dog Days of Summer















This week my son and I had two very different - yet equally strange - encounters with wild Chihuahuas. Like most of you who are reading this, I had no idea they even existed in the wild. I assumed they all lived in cities, and acted as pets and fashion accessories for chic young women.

My experience took place in Maui, where I meet two little strays while hiking in a remote nature reserve. It was love at first sight, I absolutely adored them and covered their sweet, scruffy, little faces with kisses. From what I could piece together, they have lived in the park for most of their lives. The locals call them Cheech and Chong - and even though they don’t belong to anyone, they are never lacking for food or affection. I desperately wanted to take them home with me, and imagined a world where Pugs and Chihuahuas live in harmony. In the end I had to leave without them – I didn’t want to be the one responsible for taking away their freedom. Besides, if Pele gets that pissed off about a missing rock……imagine what would she do if someone took one of her Chihuahuas?

My son’s experience was at the opposite end of the spectrum –a story of a wild Chihuahua gone bad. In order to fully appreciate how humbling his experience was, I have to tell you about an incident leading up to his Chihuahua encounter. You should also know that my son lives in Thailand, where it isn't unusual to see wild dogs.
Last week a drug crazed man came into the school where he works. Tyler took control of the situation and was able to restrain the guy until the police arrived. He was a hero - a real life action figure – Canada Man! The parents, children and other teachers were very grateful and could do nothing but sing his praises.

This week he was attacked by a group of wild dogs – right in front of his school. The leader of the pack was a Chihuahua, a nasty little creature who started biting Tyler. In order to get away Tyler ended up jumping on a car, where he was stuck until a group of fourth graders came to his rescue. It was damn embarrassing –and even though it wasn't a serious injury, he now has to have a series of rabies shots.

1 comment:

Dil said...

I've always been leary of those little Mexican dogs....they're miniature dobermans I know it! They look all tiny and weak then before you know it, little needle teeth....ah!!!...the thought of it....horror! hee hee