Monday, July 23, 2007

A Tale of Two Shoppers


Recently I attended a marketing conference, where various talking heads discussed the unique challenges of selling to women. A very timely topic as woman now make most of the purchasing decisions for their families – everything from cars, holidays, furniture and toothpaste.

According to the experts, the average woman takes months to make a significant purchase. She starts by doing in-depth research and reads everything she can get her hands on. Once she has researched, she talks to friends, neighbors, family members and even strangers – anyone who is willing to offer an opinion. Finally she goes to the store, where she gets to know the salesperson on a first name basis. This will come in handy, as she will return many times before actually spending any money. After the purchase, it’s common for the woman to experience something called “Buyers Remorse” – that guilty, un-sure feeling that perhaps the zebra print might not have been the right choice.

In comparison, men are simple creatures. They see, they want, they buy. No looking back. No regrets.

In my house we are having a gender identity crisis. Tom shops like a woman – and even though this is embarrassing to admit - I shop like a man.

I’d just like to say to men everywhere, I feel your pain.

Watching Tom buy anything is a painful process. You don’t even want to know what our family goes through when it comes to buying camera equipment. Even when he finally figures out what he wants - he can’t buy it. After all, what if the company releases a new model minutes after he exits the store?

I try to be a supportive wife, but find it is much easier to just go out and buy things on his behalf. In fact, I’ve purchased most of his camera equipment. Believe me, after a few months of listening to the pro’s and cons of film versus digital, Nikon versus Canon, extended warranty or not - you’d be surprised how much a spouse is willing to pay for a little peace and quiet.

6 comments:

Mika Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mika Ryan said...

Actually, this post is from Mika's husband, Tom. Would anyone out there like to buy a 1985 model Epilady? Or perhaps one of several Ab-Dollies that Mika has purchased while watching late-night infomercials? Both items have only been used once.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! We can relate... when we decided to purchase me a car, I completely glazed over after 3 days of comparison shopping and finally just said Oh for God's sakes, I don't care, just buy me something that runs. And Scott is wondering if anyone would like my George Foreman Grill, never used.

JacqBeNimble said...

Hum. I just read an article in Women's Fitness about men and information and their LOVE of it. And since my husband sounds like Mika's and Judith's, I'm beginning to think we're normal females, and they are normal males. Not that this makes it any easier. My husband is just like Tom - A PreMature Early Adopter (adopts things before they are even released)...he won't buy ANYTHING (!) 'cause the 'new one' (aka iTunes Phone) is just about to be released. Yeah right. GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!

Tyra said...

Hmmm...it must run in our genes, because I too am an impulsive shopper, especially if it's on sale...but then I have "buyer's remorse" and have to take back my purchases...a very vicious cycle! Rod is the one who takes FOREVER to purchase something. I don't have the patience for all of that nonsense!

Janice said...

After weeks of deliberation on his part, I "surprise!" bought Scott a new cell phone. The old one wasn't even working anymore but he was still hmming about how to replace it. The new one has a camera. The results should be interesting.