Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bee Grateful


This week has taught me a few lesson’s about Karmic Justice – why is it that I always have to learn things the hard way?

Note to self; just when you think you’ve kicked the whole jet lag thing, it sneaks up and kicks your ass. Looking back I cringe at some of the conversations I’ve had, giving people advice on the do’s and don’t of jet lag. Saying things like “yea, I’ve pretty much got the whole jet lag thing figured out” – “ it’s a piece of cake when you travel as much as I do” – “ You know me, I like to hit the ground running”. To all of those poor people who had to listen to this lecture, please forget everything I said. As it turns out, I know nothing. Let’s just say this trip has been a bitch and I’m still struggling to get over my Beijing hangover.

Second big lesson of the week, I’m also not an expert on bees. Texie Baby has a life threatening allergy to bee venom - in an effort to do everything possible to minimize the risk - I’ve tried to learn all there is to know about the little buzzers. With knowledge comes respect, bees truly are amazing creatures. Just when I thought I’d figured out a system where bees and pugs could live in harmony – Tex gets stung by B.A.B. (big ass bee) during our afternoon walk.

Tom and I immediately went into emergency mode, running around like the two stooges as we rushed him to our vets office. We actually made very good time, even though we had the misfortune of getting stuck behind an old couple who were driving excruciatingly slow. Wish we had taken their license plate number, as it would be nice to contact them and apologize for all of the honking and hand gestures.

The good news is the wonderful people at the Granville Island Animal Hospital, who always take such good care of Tex and Maggie, took one look at us and knew exactly what to do. I’ve come to think of them as a band of angels, who make a huge difference in our lives.

During all of the excitement, we made an executive decision to leave Maggie at home, after all time was of the essence. We felt guilty about this - speculating on the effects this might have on her delicate psyche – imagining her home alone, sitting in the dark, worrying about her poor little brother. Needless to say it came as a surprise to find that Maggie saw this as her big opportunity to raid the pantry. We came home to find she had some how managed to drag big bags of rice and dried beans into the living room, tearing them open and treating herself to a little tasting. You could tell she really did her best to like the un-cooked rice and beans, walking around chewing, spitting them out in almost every room in the house. It seems baby girl is going through a second childhood, doing all of the naughty things she did as a puppy.

While it’s true that I am still exhausted, I’m also very, very grateful. Life is a beautiful, fragile thing and every day is truly a blessing.

5 comments:

Pheobe Kaatz said...

I hope Tex is fine.

I've never been stung by a bee, but I ate a moth today. I expect to cough it up on the bed around midnight tonight.
PK

PS Way to go Maggie!! Gotta love those cupboards...find any Fancy Feasts?

Dil said...

Next time I'd take Maggie with you. Next time she may eat the beans.....if you know what I mean.

Tyra said...

Welcome home! I agree, life is so precious. I'm glad you are grateful.

The cool thing about bees is that their wings are so much smaller than their bodies, and thus, makes it seemingly impossible for them to be able to fly. If you haven't seen the "Bee Movie"...rent it! It's really cute!

Maggy and Me - said...

Maggy says: I've been stung by a bee too and had to fall down dramatically and just chill in the park for an hour or so cause Dawn can't carry me. Turns out, luckily, that I'm not allergic, and I scored an hour of chilling in the park. Hope Tex is feeling back to himself now and that Maggie has figured out other treat-finding methods to share with her bro...

Anonymous said...

And I thought my life was weird!