Friday, September 26, 2008

Good Times


Unless you’ve ever had a job that requires a great deal of travel, you might be under the misconception that it’s a glamorous life. I’ll be the first to admit that it has its moments; it’s just that most people never see the dark side. Trust me folks, I’ve been to the mountain top and have the scars to prove it.

Case in point, I am currently in Tokyo, one of the world’s great cities. I should be out on the town hanging with the Harajuku girls – instead I’m sitting in bed, blogging, channelling my inner drama queen.

The trip started out with a good vibe. I had a free day before starting work and decided to head to Kyoto, a place that has always intrigued me. I was really digging it, until my knee decided to go on me. The truth is my knees have always been my Achilles heel; we’ve had such an up and down relationship that at some point in my life I actually started talking about them in the third person. This time damn it knees, your timing really sucks.

Considering that people have come from China, Korea and Taiwan to meet with me, going home wasn’t really an option. The only viable response is to walk with a funny gait and depend on the kindness of my friends to help me get through it.

This afternoon was my last meeting, silly me, I actually thought I was past the worst of it. While standing in my hotel bathroom, I decided to see what would happen if I tried standing up like a normal person. Let’s just say things didn’t go exactly as planned. Unable to support my weight, I took a tumble - on the way down I grabbed the control panel on the toilet to try and catch myself - accidentally hitting a button that triggered the bidet - getting a face full of water.

Good times people, good times.

8 comments:

Dil said...

I've never met anyone who's used a bidet before! You're the first!

Pheobe Kaatz said...

Mika,

I worry about you. Hope you have some good drugs for the flight home.

Sending schwerpy powers your way.

PK

Maggy and Me - said...

We worry about you too!

Not fair to be tipsy without the libations first either. Hope you're feeling better on the way home. And perhaps it's getting closer to new knee time - maybe if you say that loudly, your current knees will smarten up!

Take it easy, k.

Tyra said...

Oddly enough, this story took me back to a time in our lives when unlce Jerry and his then bride-to-be came for a visit. Remember the "hot" pants and the lost marijuana leaf necklace and the crazy dancing? It was a SNL skit being performed right before our eyes!

I loved when she bragged about having two knees surgeries but strangely didn't have any scars. Later we decided they must have gone through her butthole to get to her knees...this explanation seemed to fit her. I wonder where she is today? Prison...rehab...or perhaps still looking for that lost necklace? Ah, good times, good times! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Mika, you are one of the few people who make me laugh out loud.
Dill, now you know two.
Tyra... as one of the people who've had knee surgery before the invention of fiberoptics and who's brother got lucky and had kneed surgery after, I hate to tell you, she may have two tiny dots on each knee. Me, on the other hand has a seven inch scar. Shesh... if I only could have waited. Mind you the knee was supposed to last for 15 years and it's been thirty so I can't really complain.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mika, where did the photos for this post come from?

Marot said...

I think every tourist who travel to Japan all have different kind of story about their toilet scene hehe

Hope you are doing good Mika!

Take care of them(knees)

Tyra said...

The person I'm referring to was bragging about knee surgery in the late 1970's or early 80's...my point was, she didn't have knee surgery...she was crazy or on drugs or both! :) She saw Mika's scars and decided that she had had knee surgery as well...that's why it was so funny to us. Oh, and I think she said she was at Woodstock too (she would have been a toddler at the time)!