Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Remember


When Tyler was younger, Tom and I tried to take him on business trips as often as possible. Even though it required a great deal of planning, it was worth the effort, one of the smartest things we’ve ever done as parents. The thing I most remember are the conversations we had during those trips -discussing things on a deeper level– addressing those questions humans have been pondering throughout the ages.

During a trip to New York, I asked him about historical events that had shaped his young life. Moments that define who you are, something so significant that you never forget where you were or what it felt like when you heard the news. I told him about my experiences – traveling in California with my mother, waking up early in the morning and hearing our host crying “they’ve killed Bobby, they’ve killed Bobby”, even though I was too young to really know who Bobby Kennedy was I still remember that lonely feeling – my frustration at having to miss my cartoons when my mother made me sit in front of the television to watch Watergate or the Moon Landing, informing me it was history in the making and ordering me to remember it. At that point Tyler really had nothing to add to the conversation, in the spirit of things he tried to make a case for the deaths of Biggie and Tupac, but even he knew it was a lame argument.

Fast forward several years, our little family is awakened by an early morning phone call. Too slow to make it to the phone, we listened to the message my mother left, telling us to turn on the tube. We didn’t take it too seriously, after all those Texans can never seem to get their heads around the time change, telling ourselves she was probably referring to something on Oprah. We continued to doze, asking Tyler to check the TV, drifting in and out of sleep before one of us had the presence of mind to ask him what was happening. I'll never forget the sound of his young voice, quietly telling us that a second plane had just hit the World Trade Centre.

4 comments:

Tyra said...

Alex wasn't even 1 year's old yet but we were visiting a dear friend in Houston that week. My friend took her son to school and Alex was still sleeping, so I got my cup of coffee and turned on the morning news. As I was watching, the second plane crashed into the World Trade Center. I immediately started shaking and praying. I right then that we were headed for war and that our country would never be the same.

Alex and I couldn't fly back home, so my mom and mother-in-law drove down to Houston to get us. We all tried to laugh, pray and keep our spirits up. Alex got fussy and wanted out of his car seat, so we all started singing Christmas songs to drift him off to sleep.

A few weeks later, I found out I had been pregnant with Andrew at the time and didn't know it.

Maggy and Me - said...

Being on the west coast, we of course were witnessing the unfathomable horror three hours earlier in our day. My room mate, Venetia and I watched in disbelief not actually comprehending what was happening.

The whole day was surreal. Some of us at TBC went off to donate blood - trying vainly to find something to do to help while time seemed to stand still.

I had planned to drop off dinner to our colleague Suzanne who had just given birth to her young son while her husband was in NYC on business. We talked and ate and cared for the baby in a complete daze. When I got home we had friends visiting and Maggy immediately came running to me for comfort - she definitely was picking up on the energy.

It's a day and a time we'll never forget and the most important thing I remember is that the borders between Canada and the US were removed in our hearts. Our friends and neighbours had been attacked and traumatized and we wanted to stand with all Americans in their time of need.

Dil said...

My kids were 3 and 5yrs old. My friend was picking Claire up for school that day and she came to the door with tears in her eyes and so she didn't frighten the kids just said, " turn on the news". I swtiched on the tv and saw what seemed like in slow motion a plane crashing into a tall building.I didn't hear the broadcaster at first as I was so confused and horrified by what I saw. It hit me as I finally heard the newscaster and my 3 yr old son came into the room all chirpy and happy. I quickly turned off the tv, hugged him and thought to myself that there has been a major shift in our world. I felt helpless and scared and worried for friends and family in the US and who knew where else at that time. I cried alot that day, hugged my kids alot, and my community of friends and family came together alot in the following days. I'll never forget it either.

Marot said...

I was almost cry when I saw the news...