Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Strange Days


Life at our house is always a little strange, but lately it feels like we’re living a Fellini movie. I’m at the point where it really wouldn’t surprise me to come home and find Tex, Maggie and Tom on the beach - hanging out with a crying clown and playing with a big red ball.

Tomorrow, Tom leaves for Thailand, where he plans to hang out with our son Tyler before joining me in Beijing. On the surface this seems like a great plan – it’s just the getting there that's proving to be a challenge.

Part of the problem is Tom’s going on much deserved holiday, and I’m going to work. The weeks leading up to Beijing are uber stressful for me, as my success in China is dependent on my ability to deliver several major projects in the next week. I’m quite confident that I’ll be able to meet all of my targets, but I’ll be the first to admit that I’m feeling the pressure.

Tom on the other hand is in Total Holiday Mode - which trust me folks, can be just a little scary. At some point he came up with the brilliant idea of taking “Quatchi”, one of our stuffed 2010 Olympic mascots with him to Asia. The idea being he can take cool photo’s of Quatchi during his trip and post them on my blog, with cute little anecdotes from the road. Think Jack Kerouac - without the poodle or the drugs - and you get the general idea.

The tricky part is, while I want to be a supportive wife, I’m just not sure how many more conversation’s I can have about a stuffed mascot.
The questions go something like this: "Mika, should I take Quatchi in my carry on?" “Do you think it would be difficult to get Quatchi on an elephant? " "Please don’t forget to book a driver to take us to the Great Wall, as it’s really an integral part of Quatchi’s trip, and come to think of it, maybe I should take Miga - as it would really add to the story line - like, Quatchi meets Miga in the Forbidden City?”
"Which side of Quatchi photographs better? - his left or right?" And on, and on it goes.
Not to mention that Tex 'n Maggie are having a very difficult time trying to understand why Daddy is constantly talking to a chew toy.

The good news is, I don’t leave for Beijing for another week, which means our house once again becomes a Quatchi free zone. Free at last, free at last - thank God almighty, we are free at last!

5 comments:

Dil said...

I can't wait to see the photo of the chew toy crossing the finish line of the 800 meter as Tom hucks it from the bleachers just in front of the winner!!! Now that'll be something to talk about!

Maggy and Me - said...

Funny thing is I can hear Tom saying those words in that cute, slightly obsessive way of his!

And I too look forward to the shots - what about from that big, high diving tower with Riley!! Quatchi (and Riley) would love that I'm sure!

Have fun both of you and don't forget to blog from there if you can. How exciting.

Anonymous said...

I hope all three of you have a fabulous trip! And Quatchi, not to worry, Mika and Tom are weird but harmless.... just do the nod and smile thing!

Mika Ryan said...

From Quatchi

I have arrived in Bangkok. It's very hot here, and I'm getting lots of strange looks from the locals. I think it's my fur coat.

Thank God I'm with my travelling buddy Tom.

Stay tuned for photos !

Q-Dog

susan said...

Try to enjoy the trip... so you get a bit of a holiday too. Hopefully it's not all work and no fun. But... I think I would pick Thailand over Beijing anyday... whee!